A 2-month-old boy remains hospitalized after suffering shaken baby syndrome earlier this week.
According to the infant’s mother, Melissa McCloy, Sabastian continues to have seizures, and an MRI Thursday showed substantial brain damage which cannot be assessed at this time.
The infant’s father, 45-year-old Cristofer “Shane” Wethy, was taken into custody Thursday and charged with child endangerment, as a result of Sebastian’s injuries.
According to a press release from the Coshocton County Sheriff’s office, Coshocton County Job and Family Services contacted the sheriff’s office on Oct. 11, in reference to a 2-month-old child that was admitted to Nationwide Children’s Hospital showing signs of internal head trauma.
Detectives began an investigation in relation to a possible assault on the infant.
Following the initial investigation formal charges were filed against Wethy. Additional charges are possible once the prosecutor reviews the entire case.
McCloy said Sabastian’s team of physicians are still trying to figure out the correct combination of medication to give him to stop the cluster seizures.
“He is on some very strong sedation medicines so this morning they brought up a ventilator because (one of the medication’s he is currently on) in large doses can cause respiratory distress but it is working,” McCloy said in an email to the Tribune Friday morning.
He has a long road ahead of him and despite medical insurance through her job, McCloy is struggling to pay the day-to-day expenses, particularly as she is off work to be at the hospital.
A GofundMe account has been set up by the mother’s family to help with expenses incurred during the infant’s recovery.
This article was originally published by Coshoctontribune.
Scott Juceam is one of the leading advocates against Shaken Baby Syndrome. Scott’s life changed when his daughter Hannah was shaken to death by her nanny in 2006. Since then, Scott has dedicated his life to preventing Shaken Baby Syndrome and child abuse.