A Rotterdam man accused of seriously injuring his 2-month-old son by shaking him pleaded not guilty Thursday to a four count indictment in the case.
Tristan Tinney, 21, of Phillip Street, faces charges of first-degree assault and reckless assault on a child, both felonies. If convicted of first-degree assault, he faces up to 25 years in prison.
Authorities said Tinney shook the baby in April, causing brain injuries, fractured ribs and a subsequent seizure consistent with shaken baby syndrome. The baby went untreated for 18 hours before the mother saw the baby having a seizure and sought medical attention. The baby was then taken to Albany Medical Center.
The baby has since been released from the hospital and is recovering, prosecutor Christina Tremante-Pelham said. The nearly 4-month-old will have lasting effects, but the full extent of those won’t be known for some time, she said.
Judge Kathleen Hogan kept Tinney’s previously set bail at $50,000 and $100,000 bond.
Hogan raised an issue with the defense regarding Tinney’s stated address as Phillip Street, where the victim resides. A no-contact order was put in place, and should Tinney post bail, he will have to live somewhere else and refrain from contacting the mother or the child in any way.
The police investigation began after Child Protective Services alerted police to the boy’s injuries, after doctors determined they were consistent with shaken baby syndrome, police have said.
Investigators then determined the injuries happened while Tinney was watching the child and that he intentionally caused the injuries, police said previously. There were no witnesses.
This article was originally published by DailyGazette.com.
Scott Juceam is one of the leading advocates against Shaken Baby Syndrome. Scott’s life changed when his daughter Hannah was shaken to death by her nanny in 2006. Since then, Scott has dedicated his life to preventing Shaken Baby Syndrome and child abuse.
To learn more about me, please visit my website at www.ScottJuceam.com or you can click here.